My friend and fellow Cabrillo anthropologist Dennis Etler did a short feature today for the “First Person Singular” series on KUSP. He wants us all to consider if we are asking the right questions about the California prisons crisis. Listen here. … Continue reading
Cabrillo College is emphasizing the importance of a good Education Plan for student success. If you set your goals for degree or transfer, you’re more likely to get somewhere – have a look at Cabrillo’s Transfer and Articulation Resources and talk with a Counselor to learn more.
Most Education Plans include a requirement for a Natural Science class and a Lab Science course. If you have not already done so, I strongly recommend trying to get into any section of the Biological Anthropology Lab (ANTHR1L) concurrently with the Introduction to Anthropology: Biological lecture (ANTHR1) to meet this requirement. Students who are enrolled in both classes tend to do better in both classes, because of the opportunity to investigate materials “hands-on” that we’re discussing in lectures. While all labs are currently fully enrolled for Spring 2013, some have very short wait lists, so you have a good chance of getting into those. Check WEBADVISOR to see if there’s a lab that could work for you. Your best chance of getting into the class is to be there at the start of class on the first day.
If you’re a serious student with an interest in transferring to a CSU or UC, you should learn about the Honors Transfer Program at Cabrillo. You need a minimum 3.3 cumulative GPA to be part of this. Honors students can participate in the Honors Research Symposium to be hosted at Stanford University May 4, 2013.
Posted in Anthro ideas, Cabrillo News, class notices
Tagged 6th annual Honors Research Symposium, California, classes, colleges, counseling, degree, ed plan, honors, lab, science, transfer
Keep up with the latest news and events related to sustainability by subscribing to the Cabrillo Green Steps blog (scroll to the bottom to see the email subscription option, or use the button at the top if you use RSS).
The Cabrillo College Federation of Teachers (the teachers’ union here) has put together some information about how state budget issues are impacting our institution and what it means to students:
What’s at $take for YOU in the $tate Budget Debate?
$ Together, K-12 (41.3%) and Higher Education (UC, CSU & Community Colleges–10.1%) make up over half of the California state budget.
$ The State of California provides about 60% of community college budgets, depending on each district. The other 40% is drawn from local property taxes (28%), Student Fees (5%), Federal Funds (4%), and State Lottery proceeds (3%) (as of 2010-2011).
$ Student fees at all community colleges have been raised in the last few years from $26/unit in spring 2010 to $46/unit in fall 2012 (an 88.5% increase).
$ Community college students face new restrictions on attempting and repeating courses to reduce overall demand on the system.
CABRILLO CUTS SO FAR:
$ 400 classes were cut in the last few years in nearly every discipline across campus.
$ Course offerings have decreased by almost 10% since Fall 2011.
$ Tutoring staff, services, and hours were reduced.
$ Roughly 95 staff jobs equal to 47 full-time positions have been eliminated or reduced since 2007-08. These staffers supported students in Admissions & Records, Financial Aid, Division Offices, the Library, Tutoring Centers, Student Affairs, Facilities and Custodial Services, and other areas.
WHAT IS PROPOSITION 30? Prop. 30 provides funding for K-12 and CA higher education from a temporary, 4-year income tax increase on individuals earning more than $250,000 or families earning more than $500,000 (the top 3% of California’s taxpayers). Additional revenue would come from a .25% increase in sales tax for all Californians (25 cents per $100).
IF PROP. 30 DOES NOT PASS, Cabrillo will face an ADDITIONAL cut of 7.3%. This reduction is equivalent to:
$ Losing space for 780 full-time students
$ Cutting one in thirteen classes
$ Eliminating five average-sized programs or majors
PDF to print and share: http://ccftcabrillo.org/news/issues/teachthebudgetinbrief.pdf